Back to Top
Adults > Finance


2018-19 Financial Support information and application COMING SOON!


A guide to fees and costs for our courses for all adults aged over 19.

Government Funding

The Government funds and regulates adult Further Education and skills training in England. They pay a proportion of the cost to deliver the course and expect the student, or a sponsor, to pay the remaining portion. This is referred to as the ‘tuition fees’.

Only courses funded by the Government may be eligible for fee remission and financial support incentives. No other courses attract fee remission and incentives, so the published fees are payable.

Financial support for Higher Education courses (Foundation Degrees, HNCs, HNDs and Degrees) may still be available in the form of student loans and grants.

What to Pay

On enrolment you must make either:

  • Full payment
  • Sign a binding agreement to pay by instalments, or
  • Provide an Authorisation to Invoice form, signed by your employer

Your position on the course is not secure until one of these actions has been taken.

Your course may have any or all of the following fees attached to it:

  • Tuition fees
  • Awarding body registration fees
  • Examination fees
  • Disclosure Barring Checks (DBS) checking fee (if necessary)
  • Other costs (such as books and trips)

Courses with a strong practical emphasis may require appropriate clothing and equipment. You should contact the College before purchasing these items, as equipment must conform to health and safety regulations.

How to Pay

Your fees are payable when you enrol. If you do not make payment, you may be refused entry to classes.

You have the following options for payment -

  • In full by cash - in person only, please do not send cash in the post
  • In full by credit or debit card (excluding American Express) - call 01483 44 85 26 or 01483 44 87 36 
  • In full by bank transfer - email for details
  • Instalment payments - see below
  • By an Advanced Learner Loan (see
  • Please note that the College no longer accepts payment by personal cheque.


  • For courses over six months duration, where total fees exceed £500, the College offers instalment plans. You will initially need to pay 25% of your fees and then four further monthly instalments.
  • If your tuition fees are more than £1,000 you can increase the number of instalments to six.
  • The College makes no charge for this service, and no interest is charged.
  • Please be aware that if you leave the course without completing it, you must still pay all instalments.
  • If you default on your agreed plan, your full fee becomes due and the debt may be referred to a collections agency for recovery. These agencies act on behalf of the College and charge a collection fee, which will be added to your debt.
  • Instalments can be made either by bank standing order or by debit/credit card on a monthly basis
  • Please contact the Finance team by email for further details -

Sponsored students: 

  • If your employer or another person will be paying fees on your behalf, then it is your responsibility to ensure that the College receives signed, written evidence in support of this. Without written confirmation from your employer, the fees will remain your responsibility.
  • Written confirmation may be made by providing a letter or purchase order from your employer, or by completing an Authorisation to Invoice form, available from the College Finance Office.
  • Authorisation must be provided every academic year.
  • Your employer will be sent an invoice for the full amount of your fees, which is payable in full on receipt.

International Fees

Under current legislation, UK Government funding is only permitted to be used for UK and EU students who meet the funding eligibility rules. Students who do not meet the funding eligibility rules are required to pay fees that cover the full cost of their chosen course(s).

You may have FREE classes if:

  • You are unemployed and receive a contribution-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • You are unemployed and receive Employment and Support Allowance (ESA - a benefit for people who cannot work because of illness or disability).

If you qualify you must bring the relevant papers with you to enrolment.

You can pay ‘Home’ (UK) fees if:

  • You have lived in the UK or an EU or EEA country for the last 3 years or longer*
  • You have ‘indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK stamped in your passport
  • You have ‘right of abode’ stamped in your passport
  • You are a spouse or civil partner of a UK or EU citizen for the last 12 months
  • You have refugee status and have remained resident in the UK
  • You have been given leave to stay by the Secretary of State and have remained resident in the UK
  • You have Humanitarian Protection or discretionary leave to remain and have remained in the UK

*Full-time students from a country outside these areas who lived in the UK, EU, EEA for the last 3 years do NOT qualify for home fee rates and will have to pay ‘International’ fees.

You will have to pay ‘International’ fees if:

  • You are a temporary visitor to the UK – a tourist, a full-time student or an au-pair
  • You do not meet any of the above criteria

If you do need to pay ‘International’ fees for classes please contact the International Centre Tel: +44 (0)1483 44 86 90 or email:

Other Information

Tuition fees will not be refunded or waived after the published start date of the course, other than in very exceptional circumstances.  

For courses or programmes extending beyond one academic year, it is necessary to re-enrol and pay the appropriate fees for subsequent years. Students are liable to pay any exam resit fees.

The fee policy and arrangements may vary for courses delivered in partnership with other education partners. Any variations to the published fees must be agreed in writing by the Director of Finance.

Click here to see our Fees Policy.


You may be eligible for certain bursaries to help towards the cost of travel, material, trips and visits or childcare. For more information about our bursaries and eligibility criteria, please read our 'Guildford College 19+ Guide to Financial Support'.

Important Note

All fees and other information are correct at the current time, but are subject to change through Government policy or for unforeseen reasons at the College’s absolute discretion. The fee payable is the fee applicable at the date of enrolment.

Government policy on entitlement to fee reductions and tax or benefit rules is subject to change. The information printed reflects the College’s understanding at the time of going to print but students should check with the College for the latest information before enrolment.


01483 44 85 00

Facebook Twitter