Performing Arts Courses in Guildford, Surrey
Become a… performer, drama or theatre workshop leader, arts development officer, arts administrator, technician, drama teacher or progress to front of house or backstage careers and many more…!
Year after year, we produce top quality performers, who go on to study at the Urdang Academy, Laine Theatre Arts and the Northern School of Contemporary Dance, amongst other top academies and universities. If you see your career in the spotlight, our courses in acting, dance and musical theatre have a strong practical emphasis and will develop your skills and hone your techniques in performance, choreography, arts appreciation and administration.
Why choose Guildford College?
- Performing Arts students from Guildford College are frequently accepted into the country’s top academies and universities
- Well equipped drama studio with stage lighting and sound
- Three dance studios with cushioned floors, ballet barres and mirrored walls
- Well lit, spacious performance areas
- Opportunity to perform and participate in productions throughout the year at the College in local theatres and venues
- Theatre visits
- Specialist workshops developing physical skills in performance, vocal skills, improvisation and understanding of the theatre ensemble
- Work with theatre professionals and experts in the field of performance arts
- Links with local theatres, arts venues and community groups
Day to day
- Researching your role
- Learning lines
- Promoting performances
Performing Arts is a notoriously fickle business. You’ll need talent, determination, an ability to work hard and a bit of luck! Actors and dancers can earn up to £30,000 or as little as £6,000 depending on talent, agent, casting directors and amount of work. If you are a member of Equity (the performers' union), you should earn at least £343 a week, with non-Equity work typically paying less. As a choreographer you may earn £20,000 a year once established, rising to £30,000 as a teacher.
Audition for a degree in professional dance, musical theatre, dance and theatre performance, contemporary dance, acting, theatre directing, text and performance or many others.
www.thestage.co.uk - The newspaper for the performing arts industry carrying news and details of auditions.
www.spotlight.com - Professional Acting Jobs and Auditions.
www.acm.ac.uk - The Academy of Contemporary Music is one of Guildford College's learning partners. Located at the bottom of Guildford town centre the ACM provides a range of courses for serious musicians in an environment that has some of the finest music education facilities available anywhere in the world.
www.yvonne-arnaud.co.uk - One of the country’s leading regional theatres producing, presenting and previewing West End shows, new plays, period and contemporary drama, ballet, opera and musicals.
www.electrictheatre.co.uk - Hosts plays by a range of local arts groups and has fortnightly stand-up comedy nights.
www.ukperformingarts.co.uk - The index to UK performing arts training and careers.