Back to Top
Degree Level > Fees and Finance > Financial Help

Financial Help

Student FinanceStudent Finance Matters to Me Badge

Eligible students who are studying for their first undergraduate degree will not have to pay tuition fees up front. A loan is available from Student Finance England to cover the cost of tuition so you don’t have to find the money to pay your tuition costs before or while you are studying. You won’t have to start repaying the loan until you are earning over £25,000 a year.

Extra support is also available for those with special circumstances, for instance if you have children or adult dependants, a disability, mental-health condition or a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.

The loan will also be available to European Union students and part-time students studying at least 25% (30 credits) per year. However, if you already hold an honours degree or another qualification at the same level, you will not qualify for this loan.

Student Finance England is a partnership between the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and the Student Loans Company. They provide financial support on behalf of the UK government to English students entering higher education in the UK. 

For more information visit the Student Finance Website

What Money is Available?

You can apply for the following from the government: 

  • A Tuition Fee Loan to cover your tuition fees in full
  • A Maintenance Loan for living cost such as rent (full-time student only)
  • A Maintenance Grant if your household income is less than £42,620 (full-time students only)
  • Extra financial help if you have a disability or children or adults depending on you (this is available from your local authority or your college/university)

Tuition Fee Loan

You can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to:

  • £9,000 for new full-time students
  • £6,750 for part-time students

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to the college/university. The Loan may not cover the full cost of your tuition if you’re studying on an approved course at the college/university.

If you are an EU student from outside the UK, you can still apply for a Tuition Fee Loan if you meet certain conditions. 

Maintenance Loans

The maximum Maintenance Loan for new students is: 

  • £5,740 if you live away from home and study at a university or college outside London
  • £4,565 if you live at home
  • £6,820 if you spend a year of a UK course studying abroad

Maintenance Grants

You can also apply for a Maintenance Grant if your family income is below £42,620. You can get:

  • £3,387 if your household income is £25,000 or under
  • £50 - £3,387 if you household income is between £25,000 and £42,620

Maintenance Loans and Grants are paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term, once you’ve registered onto your course.

Other Schemes

Access to Learning Fund
This is a government funded scheme given to universities and colleges to help students facing hardship extra financial support to access and remain in Higher Education. It can help towards paying for childcare, books, travel and other necessities.

Higher Education Bursary
The Higher Education bursary is available to a limited number of students studying a degree level programme at Guildford College or Merrist Wood College. For more information or to download a form click here.

Extra help
Extra help is available for students with disability, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty, and for students with children or adult dependants.

Student Loan Repayments

Students will begin repaying back their loans when they are in full-time employment earning over £25,000 a year. The loan repayments are based on 9% of your salary that is over the £25,000 threshold. This is taken out of your wages directly similar to tax and National Insurance.

Use the student finance calculator to estimate:

  • student loans
  • student grants
  • extra student funding, eg if you’re disabled or have children

For more information

The Finance Team
Tel: 0800 612 6008

Information, Advice and Careers
Tel: 0800 612 6008

Student Finance England
Tel: 0845 300 50 90

Useful website

Click here to ask us a question.

GC HE Bursary inpage banner


01483 44 85 00

Facebook Twitter